National Archives of Australia
F315 1949/265 Part 2 Marriages
Copyright P J Mackett, 2009
NB I have attempted to group correspondence about marriage
(1) Correspondence 27. 9.1948 - Maranboy Police Station
Fred White exempted H/C and Daisy F/B
Fred White is an invalid pensioner residing at Eva Valley Station.
Daisy Meerabooma is from the Mary River Country north of Maranboy
and about 20 years of age and has been at Eva Valley Station for
about 6 months. Her Auntie is Alice Jibuna who is the wife of
a stockboy George Youngrung at Thompson's stock camp. Also mentions
Police Tracker Bob Ilbinyo who says he is a tribal uncle of Daisy
and the marriage should not take place.
1.10.1948 Marriage refused and Daisy to be sent to Tandangal Native
7.11.1948 Fred White still wants to marry Daisy.
11.11.1948 Permission refused.
20.11.1948 Daisy still at Tandangal Native Settlement.
(2) Correspondence 14.10.1948 Borroloola
P J Mulholland requests permission for extension of time to marry
native woman Amoraleara.
Permit extended six weeks.
11.11.1948 P J Mulholland and Amorleah married 28.10.1948 at Borroloola.
Marriage carried out by Rev Beckett Patrol Padre of the A.I.M.
(3) Correspondence 1.11.1948
Cummins Benson not married. Wedding tomorrow.
29.10.1948 Maxwell Benson 24 yrs and Jeanette Mary Cummings 17 yrs
wish to marry. Both signed names to letter.
2.11.1948 Maxwell Benson, 24 yrs and Jeanette Mary Cummings, 17 yrs
wish to marry. Both are half-castes. Intend to marry 3.11.1948 at
the Catholic Church Alice Springs. Maxwell Benson served in the last War
and was for two years a member of Patrol Officer Penhall's unit.
George Cummings is the father of Jeanette. Jeanette has been resident
at the Alice Springs Convent since 20. 1.1947. Mother Lulu Cummings
objects to the marriage.
Maxwell and Jeanette reside with Mr and Mrs Alf Price. Mr Price is a
Marriage is approved and objection cannot affect this. Permission
granted 5.11.1948 for Maxwell Benson and Jeanette Mary Cummings both
of Alice Springs to marry.
(4) Correspondence 30.10.1948 Pine Creek
C Sagabiel wants to marry Aida.
(5) Permission granted 3.12.1948 for marriage of Nida Wilson H/C to
Bill Ryan H/C both of Croker Island
(6) Correspondence 3. 2.1949 Darwin
Dawn Carmen Chi P/A wants to marry Edward Groves of Darwin.
Various correspondence about Dawn -
(a) No record of birth in N.T. Born Thursday Island.
Paddy Carolin is step-father.
(b) Genealogical chart
Dawn Carmen Chi commonly known as Dawn Carolin
Father Eric Fitzgerald of Thursday Island whose sister was Mrs Hardy P/C
Mother Mary Damaso, about 40 yrs, born at Borroloola
Mother's father Cebia Damaso (deceased, Malay from Macassar, Celebes Island
Mother's mother Polly F/B lubra, deceased, of Anula Tribe, Borroloola district
(c) Damaso, male, H/C or K/C - Phillipines
Mary Chi known as Domaso, quadroon abo, now known as Mrs Paddy Carolin
Dawn Carolin Chi, child, octoroon, daughter of quadroon Mary Chi
and Eric (Mick) Fitzgerald
(d) Degree abo blood Mary Chi
Exemption Dawn Carmen Chi
Convictions Dawn Carolin - Larceny as a servant
Edward Groves - Drunkenness 30. 1.1948, bail forfeited
14. 2.1949 Mr and Mrs Carolin have not yet consented to the marriage.
16. 2.1949 Consent actually given 19. 1.1949 by Mary Carolin, mother
(7) Permission granted 23. 2.1949 for marriage of
Alda Josephine Cooper P/A to Francisco Augusto Perez, both of Darwin
(8) Correspondence 18. 2.1949
W Anderson of Mt Doreen Station wants to marry a lubra Maggie Nangal
between 18 or 19 years old. She was at Mt Doreen until yesterday when
Mr Penhall took her to the Mission (Rock Hill Bore Mission ?).
23. 2.1949 Penhall states following
Anderson admitted a couple of young girls, in particular one named
Lizzie about 7 yrs and an orphan, used to clean his camp for tucker.
Maggie is about 14 years old and was a companion of Lizzie and May
(about 9 years old) and frequently visited Anderson's camp. Anderson
is 53 years old. The three girls were left in the custody of Mr Coate
4. 3.1949 Permission refused.
(9) Correspondence dated 3. 3.1949 Darwin
John Liddy, son of .... (Tom ?) and Daisy Liddy, born in Darwin 13. 9.1930
would like to marry Imelda Walker, daughter of William Walker and
a native woman, and born at Nutwood Downs on 12. 5.1930. Both
reside at the Catholic Mission garden Point.
Permission granted 4. 3.1949 for marriage of
Imelda Walker P/A to John Liddy.
(10) Correspondence dated 17. 3.1949 Darwin
Miss Noeline Pauline Cubillo, daughter of John Cubillo (deceased)
and Louisa Cubillo of Stuart Park Darwin, wishes to marry
Patrick Wright, Bus Driver of Darwin.
... 3.1949 Consent given by mother.
17. 3.1949 Permission granted for marriage of
Noeline Pauline Cubillo P/A and Patrick Wright both of Darwin
(11) Correspondence undated
Pearl Green, 22 yrs, born in N.T. wants to marry Harold Graham.
14.10.1949 Permission granted for marriage of
Pearl Green P/A and Harold Graham both of Darwin
(12) Correspondence dated 15. 5.1949 Darwin
Is there a marriage certificate for Mr T Nicoloff and full-blood
native woman Bil-u-wuk.
17. 5.1949 No marriage between 1942 to date.
23. 5.1949 Mr T Nicoloff of Bamboo Creek Mine
No record of marriage. Please legalize union as soon as possible.
When legalized make application for adoption of your children.
Permission granted 8. 7.1949 for marriage of female aboriginal
Biluwuk and Tom Nicoloff both of Mt Finnis district.
(13) Correspondence dated .........
K McMahon applies for permission to marry Sheila Pechham. Intends
to marry 29th June.
18. 5.1949 To Whom it May Concern
Permission is hereby granted for Kenneth McMahon to be in the company
of Sheila Peckham after the time of sunset pending their marriage
which is to take place on the 29th June 1949.
Undated states marrying today.
(14) Correspondence dated 2. 6.1949 Berrimah
Robert better known as Robber, a Melville Island native was promised Bessie,
daughter of Greenant Paddy and deceased mother. Confirmed by George (Bringan),
Jerry (Melville Island), July (Melville Island) amd Mick (Melville Island).
Bessie did live with Robert for a period but was taken to Delissaville and
lives there with her father and sister.
Correspondence 3. 6.1949
Robber's problem is an old one and came up in 1948 when Mr Bowden was
Green Ant Paddy's daughter was then staying with her foster mother Bessie
at Bagot Hospital. Robber claimed the daughter but Bessie objected. The
girl did not appear willing to go to Robber. The girl is in her early
teens and Robber is between 30 and 40 years old.
It was then decided to leave the girl in the care of her foster mother
until she would go voluntaryily with Robber.
Recommended that Robber be given permission to go to Delissaville to
talk the matter over with Green Ant Paddy and the daughter.
(15) Correspondence dated 3. 6.1949
Permission is hereby granted for Alan Stanton to be in the company
of Mona Waters after the time of sunset on Friday of each week.
(16) Correspondence dated 20. 6.1949 Alice Springs
Mr Tommy Maddern exempt half-caste and Ruby Turner widow seek permission
Permission granted 24. 6.1949 for marriage of Ruby Turner P/A and
Tommy Maddern both of Alice Springs.
(17) Correspondence dated 6. 7.1949 Snake Bay Settlement
The bearer Danny Japalimari is proceeding to Snake Bay for the purpose
of marrying Betty of Snake Bay.
31.10.1949 Has Danny returned to Snake Bay.
10.11.1949 Berrimah. Some confusion in the names -
Danny is Dannyy or Paw Paw Bahloo-roonga-wyee
Charlie One is known as Japalamari.
22.11.1949 Snake Bay
Danny Japalimari married Betty Ballurini. Danny is known as Paw Paw
and aboriginal name Bahloo-roonga-wyee. His brother Charlie One
is in Darwin.
(18) Permission granted 26. 7.1949 for marriage of Gladys Walker P/A and
Ron Roberts both of Croker Island.
(19) Permission granted 2. 8.1949 for marriage of Kitty Goodall P/A and
Odon Cubillo both of Darwin.
Undated states Odon Cubillo approx 1/8 abo
Father John Rogue Cubillo half-caste White / Philipino
Mother 1/4 abo, 3/4 mixed Chinese
(20) Correspondence dated 16. 8.1949 Darwin
James Alphonsus Corpus aged 30 yrs wants to marry Violet Yvonne Liddy
aged 19 yrs.
Undated states James Alphonsus Corpus 20 yrs
Father is full blood Philipino
Mother is W.A. aboriginal
Violey Yvonne Liddy 19 yrs born 1. 1.1931, correct name being Violet Yvonne Prior
Father European (F Prior)
Mother 1/2 caste abo
Permission granted 23. 9.1949 for marriage of Violet Yvonne Liddy P/A
and Alphonsus Corpus both of Darwin.
(21) Correspondence dated 22. 8.1949 Darwin
H D Lee of the Records Section N.T. Administration wishes to marry
Agripina Cubillo on or about 9. 9.1949.
25. 8.1949 Mary Agripina Cubillo has applied for Exemption
which will be granted.
(22) Correspondence dated 2. 9.1949
Alice Carroll, approximately 20 yrs of age, daughter of
George Carroll, European, and an aboriginal woman Polly
wishes to marry Sebastian Briston, 24 yrs, born Bathurst
Island to Carry McGuinness P/A who married Agostino Briston
a Philipino at Bathurst Island in 1920.
Permission granted 21. 9.1949 for marriage of Alice Carroll P/A
and Sebastian Briston both of Darwin.
(23) Correspondence dated 3. 9.1949 Henbury
Jim Kernon, father James Kernon (deceased) and mother Leddie
and Vera Armstrong, father Tim Armstrong and mother Molly Armstrong
request permission to marry. Tim Armstrong gives his permission.
Permission granted 12. 9.1949 for marriage of Vera Armstrong P/A
and Jim Kernon both of Henbury Station.
(24) Correspondence dated 15.10.1949 Buffalo Camp Wildman River
H Knowles wants to marry Lilly
18.10.1949 Lily has been returned to Daly River. Permission to
21.10.1949 To whom it may concern
The bearer, Mr Harold Knowles of Point Stuart Station, is proceeding to the
Daly River for the purpose of picking up and transporting to Point Stuart
Station aborigine Lily Ningarwerrie where the said aborigine and the bearer
will be married on 26.10.1949.
Permission granted 25.10.1949 for the marriage of female aborigine
Lily Ningarwerrie with Harold Knowles both of Point Stuart Station.
(25) Correspondence dated 26.10.1949
Permission granted 26.10.1949 for marriage of Nida Wilson P/A with
Bob Lowe both of Darwin.
(26) Correspondence dated 7.11.1949
Helena Clarke born Port Hedland some 17 years ago and Cyril Murphy
of Beagle Bay and born at Beagle Bay Mission Station wish to marry.
The parents of both parties are said to live at Port Hedland.
17.11.1949 Correspondence from Perth
Helena Katherine Clarke H/C born 1922 Port Hedland
Certificate of Exemption granted 22.11.1943
Father Lawrence Wm. Clark H/C
Mother Catherine Clark nee Gamble H/C
Cyril Murphy H/C born 12. 5.1927 Beagle Bay Mission
Certificate of Citizen Rights granted 27. 9.1948 at Port Hedland
Father Thomas Murphy H/C
Mother Zita Murphy nee Edwards H/C
They do not need permission to marry.
(27) Correspondence dated 10.11.1949
Permission granted 10.11.1949 for marriage of Dorothy Dempsey P/A with
Norman George both of Darwin.
(28) Correspondence 2.12.1949 Burrundie Siding
A Knight wants Kitty sent to Pine Creek where he will be working.
Prepared to marry her.
26. 4.1950 Lubra with Knight at Pine Creek.
27. 3.1950 A Knight has kept lubra Kitty for 6 years.
31. 3.1950 Report on Andy Knight. Constable is inclined to favour
this application as the lubra has been with him for 6 years, and
should they be separated the woman would be at a loss to reorientate
herself. Has two convictions, supply liquor to Aboriginals at Pine
Creek and assault. He supplied sum to Nellie, the lubra Wilson has
made application to marry.
8. 4.1950 Pine Creek - A Knight, 56 yrs, wants to marry Kitty.
4.12.1950 Pine Creek - Andy Knight wishes to apply for his Exemption
which was revoked 26. 4.1950.
2. 5.1950 Permission granted for marriage of female aborigine Kitty
with A Knight both of Pine Creek.
(29) Permission granted 1. 1.1950 for marriage of Susan Markham P/C
with Arsinue Calma both of Darwin.
(30) Correspondence 12. 1.1950 from Daeby W.A.
Proposed marriage Peggy D'Antoine and John Clements.
Peggy's mother is Mrs Amy D'Antoine of Broome, a good type of coloured
woman. John Clements is supposedly Greek and is divorced but had a wife
and 2 children.
Northern Standard January 20 1950
Miss Peggy D'Antoine and Mr John Clements were married 12. 1.1950.
26. 1.1950 They were married without permission of the N.T. Department.
6. 2.1950 Peggy's parents were separated legally in the Broome Court
in 1938. On 7.11.1947 Mrs D'Antoine obtained a divorce in Perth on the
grounds of 9 years separation. Peggy remained with her mother.
Mr D'Antoine is believed to be in Darwin.
(31) Correspondence 25. 1.1950 Darwin
On 24. 1.1950 Miss Agnes Martha Dabey H/C aged about 18 years applied
for permission to marry a European Malcolm James Alchin. Desire to be
married on 28. 2.1959 at the Catholic Church Darwin.
2. 2.1950 Correspondence Police Darwin
Alchin kept company with Rona Laughton H/C in Alice Springs. He immediately
contacted Agnes Dabey when he arrived in Darwin and kept company with her.
Alchin's mother died and he has a stepmother. His father is Allan Arthur Alchin.
Alchin is only 19 years old and born 17. 2.1931.
No reason to refuse marriage.
Permission granted 20. 6.1950 for marriage of Agnes Martha Dabey P/A
with Malcolm James Alchin both of Darwin.
(32) Correspondence 7. 2.1950 Alice Springs
Roy Schaber wishes to marry Eva Giles of Alice Springs on 13. 2.1950 at the
Church of England.
Permission granted 14. 2.1950 for marriage of Eva Giles P/A with
Roy Schaber both of Alice Springs.
(33) Correspondence 13. 2.1950 from Miss Mary Goldsmith of Alice Springs
Plans to marry a white man. Both come from South Australia.
March 1950 - Name of intended husband is Clive Carter.
Permission granted 10. 3.1950 for marriage of Mary Goldsmith P/A
with Clive Carter both of Alice Springs.
(34) Permission granted 1. 3.1950 for marriage of Mona Joyce Waters P/A with
Paul John Calma both of Darwin.
(35) Correspondence dated 3. 3.1950 Darwin
Jimmy Fejo, 20 yrs in July this year, and Lorna Tennant want to marry.
Undated - Lorna Tennant is an ex Croker girl.
20. 3.1950 Kitty Steward Fejo gives permission for the marriage of
her son James Fejo.
Permission granted 30. 3.1950 for marriage of Lorna Tennant P/A
with James Fejo both of Darwin.
(36) Correspondence dated 27. 3.1950 from R Wilson of Pine Creek
A Wilson wants to marry aboriginal Nellie.
31. 3.1950 Report on Bob Wilson
Not a good type has two convictions, supply liquor to Aboriginals
and cohabiting with Aboriginal female. On 29. 3.1950 lubra Nellie
told Constable she did not want to marry Wilson. Next day Wilson said
26. 4.1954 From R Wilson stating Nellie keeps asking about marriage.
9. 6.1950 Robert Wilson has decided not to marry lubra Nellie.
(37) Permission granted 29. 3.1950 for marriage of Irene Peckham P/A
with Thomas Kelley both of Darwin.
(38) Permission granted 6. 4.1950 for marriage of Betty Harvey P/A
with Jim Wauchope both of Croker Island.
(39) Correspondence dated 18. 4.1950 Alice Springs
Margaret Kerin, 18 yrs, daughter of Mary and M J Kerin wishes to
marry Jock Cassidy. Needs parental consent. Believe parents
working Underdowns. recommend marriage.
18. 4.1950 Father of Margaret refuses permission to marry.
(40) Correspondence 19. 4.1950 Boggabilla Aboriginal Station
Would you be good enough to investigate the case of Elizabeth Armstrong
who is in the employ or otherwise of the AIM in Darwin. A request has
come from that body for the consent, by a J McGrady of this Station, to
her marriage, in the mistaken belief he is the girl's legal guardian.
Actually the girl has no living parents and McGrady has no legal status.
Moreover, in at least one letter she has asked to be returned to this
Station where she has relations.
It would be appreciated if you will ascertain the position and arrange
for her return to this State and / or her marriage.
20. 4.1950 AIM Darwin - Barney Beer of Katherine and Betty Armstrong,
Missionary of the AIM and late of Boggabilla NSW, wish to apply for
marriage. Wish to marry on 3. 5.1950 and proceed to Katherine where
we intend to reside.
20. 4.1950 AIM Retta Dixon Home Darwin - Barney Beer does not know his
parentage.He was taken at a very early age (4 - 6 yrs) inro the family
of Charlie Beer a Halfcaste Gilbert Islander who lived at Katherine
and is now deceased. The family were evacuated in 1942 to South Australia
and were under our care at Saints, Balaklava. Charlie Beer died while
in South Australia and the family, Rosy (native woman now working at
Katherine Hospital), her daughter and Barney returned to Katherine.
Barney was then a lad of about 16 years.
2. 5.1950 Permission granted for marriage of Betty Armstrong P/A
with Barney Beer both of Darwin.
(41) Permission granted 6. 6.1950 for marriage of female aborigine Harriet with
Stephen Collisten Johnston both of Vanderlin Island.
(42) Correspondence dated 13. 6.1950 - Venus Crosbie gives her consent for
the marriage of Jane Crosbie and Charles William Rotumah as mother
of Jane Crosbie.
19. 6.1950 Permission granted for marriage of Jane Crosbie P/A with
Charles William Rotumah both of Darwin.
(43) 26. 5.1950 Permission granted for marriage of Rona Elaine Laughton P/A,
late of Alice Springs and now of Darwin with Leslie Robert Stuart of
20. 5.1950 Father Mick Laughton may object to the marriage.
3?. 5.1950 Mick Laughton has no objection.
25. 5.1950 Leslie Robert Stuart, a coloured man from Port Augusta in
South Australia, states he is the son of Essie Simpson who was a
quadroon born in Alice Springs some 48 years ago and James Wylie Stuart,
a white man.
Undated - Essie Simpson's sister Nancy Campbell is resident at Gap.
(44) Correspondence 26. 6.1950 From Jim Stott of Adelaide River
Wants permission to marry Molly, the mother of his daughter Joan
(45) Correspondence dated 10. 7.1950 John Davidson of Delemere Station, Katherine
Wants extension of tiime for marriage to Maggie.
17. 7.1950 Permission granted for marriage of female aborigine Maggie
with John Davidson both of Katherine.
24. 8.1950 Delamare Station - Not married yet.
29. 8.1950 Note - Arrangements made for celebration of marriage of
Jack Davidson and Maggie at Katherine on 29. 8.1950
(46) Correspondence dated 31. 7.1950 Catholic Mission Garden Point
Consent requested for marriage of Frederick Bennett, son of George Bennett
(European) and Nellie (aboriginal), born 5. 3.1933 Katherine River and
Isabel Webster, born Menindie NSW on 31. 8.1932 of a European father and
a half-caste mother Ada Webster. Both belong to the Garden Point Mission.
Permission granted 10. 8.1950 for marriage of Isabel Webster P/A with
Frederick Bennett both of Garden Point.
(47) Undated Note - Please check if the marriage of William Huddlestone H/C
to Gertie F/B has been registered. Possibly celebrated at Roper River
(48) Correspondence 3. 8.1950 Borroloola (difficult to read)
William Shadforth of Rocky Glen exemption.
Note added states Shadforth to marry woman Bessie. Exemption
Genealogical Chart 9. 8.1950
Jim Shadforth H/C and Jessie
William Shadforth, son born circa 1915, wife 1 Una F/B
Children Amy born 1943, and Ray born 1948
William Shadforth, son born circa 1915, wife 2 Bessie F/B
Children Male born 1946, Ned born 1949 and infant born 1950
Una has left Shadforth and he now wishes to marry Bessie.
10. 8.1950 Marriage to take place 10.10.1950
(49) Correspondence dated 11. 8.1950 Darwin
Peter Brogan, born 29. 6.1928 Darwin, son of a European father (unknown)
and an Aboriginal woman (Topsy), and Thecla Lopez or De La Cruz, born
27. 9.1938 Darwin, daughter of Philomeno Lopez (H/C Filipino) and
Lucy Pearce (H/C Aboriginal).
Proposed date for wedding is 7.10.1950 at Garden Point.
Permission granted 28. 8.1950 for marriage of Thecla Lopez P/A
with Peter Brogan both of Garden Point Mission.
(50) Telegram dated 24. 8.1950 to Broome from Darwin
Appreciate urgent advice whether Barbara Robe Assan, daughter of
Jack and Lulu Assan subject Native Act
(51) Note dated 28. 8.1950 subject F S Raggatt
Visited McArthur River Station on 12. 8.1950 and interviewed the manager
Fred Sonny Raggatt a quarter-caste.
Raggat is the father of an 18 months old male child Ronald Raggatt whose
mother is a full blood aboriginal girl Angeline Wunnerreleena.
Raggatt wants to marry Angeline.
(52) Correspondence 29. 8.1950 re Annie Wauchope
Been living with Joseph D'Antoine for the last 12 months.
He is living apart from his wife (see above).
23.10.1950 Annie Wauchope is still at the AIM Home Bagot and works
at the laundry at Knucky Street Darwin.