Patrol Report R Macauley 19.02.1964

Narional Archives of Australia Canberra Office A6456 R136/008 Report on Patrol 19 February 1964 Patrol Report R Macauley 19.02.1964 Woomera 19th February, 1964 Superintendent Woomera Patrol - January to February, 1964 Purposes (1) Examine the general position of the Aborigines in the Rawlinson Range, especially near Giles Weather Station. (2) Collect information at Warburton Range Mission for the forthcoming monograph on the Central Reserves. Itinerary The patrol route was to Coober Pedy, Everard Park, Ernabella Mission, Musgrave Park, Rawlinson Range, Mural Crescent, Warburton Mission, Rawlinson Range, Mural Crescent, Musgrave Park, Ernabella, Victory Downs, Coober Pedy and Woomera. The patrol covered the period 24. 1.1964 to 5. 2.1964 and three days were spent at Warburton Mission. Numbers There are 4 men, 4 young men, 6 women, 5 young women, and approximately 6 children scattered in small family groups throughout the Rawlinsons, Mural Crescent, Walter James Range, and the Central Petermanns. In addition I transported Mickey's widow (Tawila) and her two children (Miawla and Patani); and old woman (Naparala), and a young family (Henry - Tjimalka, his wife Kungala, and baby Elizabeth) to Warburton Mission for various purposes. With Mr Harman's approval I transported Tjardi (Georgie) (Walatina), and his two sons Minyindidi and Yanunana to Musgrave Park because Yanunana appeared to me to be suffering from malnutrition. Musgrave Park was chosen rather than Warburton Mission because Tjardi's wife Naraban is in hopsital in Alice Springs receiving further treatment on her jaw, and Musgrave Park is on her flight route home. Native Deaths Mickey, a middle aged adult, died near Giles on 13th January, 1964, from what appeared to be a chest infection, probably broncho- pneumonia. Mr MacDougall reported the death at the time. Mickey is buried 10 miles west of Giles on the north side of the Warburton road. Three other deaths of the same nature occurred at Mt Davies about the same time and there are reports of an influenza-type epidemic in several parts of the Centre. Health Apparently most of the Rawlinson natives had colds but they had cleared up by the time I reached Giles. There were no obvious urgent health needs in the groups I say. Food and Water There are at least two native owned rifles among the scattered groups and they are providing the means to a regular supply of kangaroo meat. Lizards are being caught in great numbers and the quandongs have had a good season. There are also good supplies of onion grass along the creeks. It could be stated that present food supplies in the area are reasonable. There were only two dingo scalps to be traded. 180 points of rain have been recorded at Giles since mid- December and the rock-holes in the ranges are full and the soaks in the creeks have a ready supply near the surface, allowing small groups to move away from the ranges into the plains in search of food. I doubt if water supplies will cause any concern until next summer. Stealing st Giles On the night of 16th January, 1964, three local native youths Brian, Graham and Young Harry, broke into the store at Giles and stole a total of 59 tins of food, none of which was recovered. On the night of 24th January, 1964, three young women pushed a hole in the fly wire netting of the store and stole 34 tins of food of which 13 tins were recovered. On 29th January, Brian and Graham entered the garage at Giles at 2.00am looking for files, knives, etc but fled when detected. About the same time most of a packet of .22 bullets and a Biro pen were stolen from the weather office at Giles. Earlier, on 11th January, 1964, a canvas utility canopy and a new tarpaulin were recovered from the native camp. The date on which they were stolen was unknown at Giles. I spoke sternly to the three youths concerned, but did not see the three girls who fled on my approach and stayed bush. The youths in question were removed to parental care some miles from Giles. When near Giles they were in camp with distant relatives who obviously did not discourage the stealing. Mr Morgan, camp Manager, Giles will take greater precautions to keep buildings locked and sealed, but short of this there is little that can be done by Mr MacDougall or me or the Staff at Giles. The normal method of dealing with petty stealing on missions, etc, is to make the whole camp suffer by closing the store etc until the camp forces the offenders to comply. There are so few scalps to trade in camp that this was not a worthwhile lever against stealing. What is required is a good swift kick in the pants by a policeman. Could Mr Harman please be asked to refer this matter to his local Police Authorities so that a Policeman can accompany the next welfare patrol into the area. All stealing can become serious if unchecked but the young people involved are not belligerent and are now, I trust, under parental care. Thus I do not see any urgency in this matter and possibly a policeman could accompany the early April patrol as far as Giles. I confiscated a rifle belonging to Brian on the grounds that it was dangerous to him. Parts of the cocking device were missing and the bolt action was extremely sloppy. The rifle is now at Musgrave Park where there are doubts that it cam be repaired. I hope that the loss of his prestige-giving rifle will serve to quieten Brian and make him work longer hunting with spears, thereby cutting into his leisure hours which seem to be devoted to stealing. Warburton Mission I spent three days at Warburton Mission, mainly in discussion with Mr Keith Morgan, Acting Superintendent, and Mr R Hawthorn, who provided some material for the forthcoming Central Reserves Monograph. I wish to thank Mr Harman for notifying the Mission of my intended visit and for so paving the way for the discussions. Vehicle The patrol International utility ZSU 071 gave a trouble free patrol, and there were no punctures. R Macaulay Native Patrol officer