Director of Native Affairs
Miscellaneous items 1915 - 1941
Item ID 716224
Previous System Location A/70001; SRS4354/1/15
Access Category 30 years
Copyright Paul Mackett 1996
Folder marked 1915 - 1941 Assorted Correspondence
12. 3.1934 Flo Kemp wants to go to Woorabinda from Cherbourg
4. 1.1921 Transfer account of Annie, recently removed to
Palm Island, to Palm Island
Undated two damaged sheets listing bank account details Cairns
for the following
Baer Born Bino
Kolla Bugga Willie
28. 6.1924 Recognizance for Narrow Johnny to be returned from
Julia Creek to Normanton.
9. 5.1934 Mona Morris of Cherbourg is working at Longreach
4.10.1922 Mickie and Louisa of Winton do not want to go to a
settlement. Both are nearly 70 years old.
26. 3.1941 Cooktown. Nellie has moved from Shiptons Flat to
Bloomfield. Has no desire to go to Palm Island to join
Jerry Dugong. Natives say Jerry Dugong is the father of Nellie's
8.10.1915 Florrie Sandy H/C appears on the Protectors lists
8. 9.1921 Destitute Aboriginal woman Kira at Glengyle Stn,
Birdsville. Husband was Combo who died 30.10.1920.
3. 1.1921 Removal order from Townsville to Palm Island
17. 7.1920 Recognizance for Emily to be returned from Palmwoods
Protector of Aborigines, Laura
Withdrawl sheets for November 1935 list the following names
Tommy Lilly T-116
Mary and Hazel, wife and child of Echo E-34
Trooper Harry T-119
Koolburra Bob K-21
Jacky Lawyer J-186
Jerry Koolburra J-188
Jimmy Woods J-228
Bobby Kenny B-114
Toby Thompson T-115
Tommy Pelen T-117
George One Eye G-64
Frank & Nellie mother and father of George One Eye G-64
Michael, his gin Maudie M-127
Deaths 1927 - 1932
16. 3.1932 Croydon. Female Aboriginal child Bella, about 5 years old,
died 15. 3.1932 at the Native Camp at Croydon. Father is George and
mother is Hannah. Buried in the local Native Cemetery.
28.11.1931 Gordonvale. Aged Aborigine Frank died 16.11.1931 at
1. 9.1931 Clermont. Polly McKinlay, wife of James McKinlay, died
at Peak Downs Hospital, Clermont on 30. 8.1931. Buried in
24. 7.1931 Gregory Downs. Male Aboriginal child aged 5 months died
at the Gregory Downs Blacks Quarters on 21. 7.1931. father is Jerry
and mother is Kitty.
29. 5.1931 Burketown. George Samardin, H/C Aboriginal infant,
aged 3 months and 18 days died 26. 5.1931 at Burketown. Father
is Eric Samardin, exempt. Mother is a 16 year old H/C, her father
being a Chinaman and her mother a F/B. Eric's father is Javanese
and his mother a F/B.
9. 5.1931 Mareeba. Expenses for burial of Aboriginal child
25. 2.1931 Gordonvale. Aged Aborigine named Old Man Jack,
approximately 70 years old, died 22. 2.1931 at the Riverstone Camp,
27. 1.1931 Mt Mulligan. Aboriginal gin Maggie died 27. 1.1931 at
the Aboriginals Camp. Husband was Billy Salute
Buried in a burial ground where other Aborigines are buried about
1/4 mile from the camp.
5. 1.1931 Burketown. Male H/C Pickaninny named Mitchell, about
5 years old, died 28.12.1930 at Burketown Hospital
15. 9.1929 Ingham. Old Aboriginal gin Mary died 28. 8.1929 at
Murrallimbeen about 9 miles from Ingham. Native of the Ingham
district and about 80 years old.
3. 9.1929 Betoota.
Fat Kitty died January 1929 at Jundah Hospital.
Husband was Charlie Bannerman
Tracker Billy died January 1929 of old age. Gin is Sally who
is very old.
Mary Ann died January 1929 of old age.
Bogey died 27. 8.1929, very old and blind
Also mentions Moses, very old.
25. 6.1929 Alpha. Tommy died 18. 6.1929 at Jericho Hospital.
Buried 19. 6.1929 at Alpha Cemetery.
23. 1.1928 Cairns. Toby Woodward left Hospital at Thursday Island
on 27.12.1927 and has not been seen since. Police think he is dead.
26. 7.1927 Chillagoe. Aged Aborigine Monkey died 25. 7.1927. Also
mentioned the following who are supposed to have gone to Mt Garnet
15. 6.1927 Bedourie. Old Aboriginal gin Kitty died 29. 5.1927 at
15. 6.1927 Ayr. Mary Hennaway, aged 8 years. died 10. 6.1927.
Buried Ayr Cemetery. Mother is a F/B. Brother is Alfred Hennaway.
6. 4.1927 Cloncurry. May Brodie, infant, was brought from
Grenada Stn to Cloncurry Hospital where she died 16. 3.1927.
Father is Sid Brodie. Mother is Mabel Brodie. May was 11 months old.
12. 2.1927 Frederick Richard Query, aged 5 months, died in the
Women's Ward, Dunwich.
Woorabinda Natives 34/4831
Mentions the following
Billy Rookwood of Woorabinda
Eric Duncan, his nephew, at Cherbourg